Contact      Customer Area      Sito Italiano
image
 
Home
     
SHOP      PARCO VERDE      FOOD AND GASTRONOMY      ITINERARIES      BIKE PARK      EVENTS  
 
             
  ITINERARIES
     
Park’s Villages ^ Index  |  Previous  |  Next 
 
 
  »  Nature to be discovered
  »  Park’s Villages
  »  Archaeological Park
  »  National Park
 
Matera2019
 
Newsletter
Send this page
 Search
Print
 
Agriturismo Parco Verde
Contrada Spineta, 50
85050 Grumento Nova (PZ)
Basilicata - Italy
 
Tel. +39 333 5724074
>> Email
 
   

Moliterno

Moliterno is located overlooking the Val d’Agri 879 meters high and is one of the main centers of the area, rich in productive activities.
 
An old tradition Moliterno was built after the destruction of Grumentum occurred by the Saracens between ’872 and 975 for the arrival of several grumentini escaped the massacre, they gathered around the tower lomgobarda. The Lombards were the first people who came to foreign Moliterno. Moliterno then passed under the domination of the Normans who built the castle and reigned from 1059 to 1186. After the Normans Moliterno came under the domination Swabian and later under the Angevin barons with Brajda 1269 to 1477.

In the second half of the eleventh century., Moliterno passed under the dominion of the Normans, who built the castle and reigned from 1059 to 1186. With the marriage of Constance d ’Altavilla, the last heir of the Normans, with Henry VI, took over the Swedes. The decisive battle between the army of Charles of Anjou, known in Italy by Pope Clement IV, against Manfred, natural son of Frederick II, ended in Benevento in 1266 with the defeat and death of Manfred.

Died Swabian Manfredi, Moliterno passed under the Angevin domination, and more specifically of Baron Brajda. Charles of Anjou, in fact, granted the fief to Otto of Brajda, who was the general of his cavalry. Proof of this is the card feudal concession that Cassini unearthed in the process of Brajda and the prince of Stigliano, namely the Diploma Charles I of Anjou, was released in 1269 in favor of Baron Lombardo Odo of Brajda.

With that written, directed to the avenger of Basilicata, was given to Otto of Brajda, the castle of Moliterno (Castrum Moliterni cum hominibus etpertiis towers et blandis contentis in eo) (with benefits payable) and Brajda kept it 108 years from 1268 to 1477. Below them Moliternofù repeatedly ravaged by the continued fighting between the partisans of the newcomers and devotees of the Swabian house which caused the death of many people. For the payment of damages, Baroness Odolina Aquinas, widow of Odo, obtained from Charles the temporary enjoyment of the land of Sanseverino di Camerota in the Cilento which were feudal barons of Charles of Anjou.

In 1442, after a war that lasted 20 years, including angiomas and Aragon, Ferdinand of Aragon, taking advantage of ongoing discord between the local barons, took possession of the kingdom of Naples, annexing it to that of Sicily.

Begins, even for Moliterno, the Aragonese domination, which ends in 1502. Under this rule, Hugh of Brajda, with the consent of King Ferdinand II of Aragon gave the feud of Moliterno Antonio Sanseverino, Prince of Salerno in 1477. For frequent conspiracies of Sanseverino, first against the Aragonese, then against the Spaniards, the fief was taken away from them by Ferdinand the Catholic in 1505, but was later returned to Alfonso Sanseverino, who kept it until 1524, when he sold it to thirty-nine thousand ducats Prince of Stigliano, Don Antonio Carafa whose descendants kept it until 1882.

Under the domination of Sanseverino, as turbulent political, developed in Moliterno the wool trade, sheep, grain, livestock and agriculture.

Spanish rule began in 1502, after the French conquest easy and the agreement between Louis XII of France and Ferdinand the Catholic, King of Spain. The latter gave no evidence of loyalty to the relative Ferdinand 1110, King of Sicily, and took possession of the kingdom. During the Spanish rule, the lords of Moliterno were the CARAFA. The son of Anna Carafa, Nicola Carafa Guzman, sold Sarconi, San Chirico and Moliterno in 1682 to GBSpinelli, Duke of Caivano.

The Spinelli (1685), sold these lands for the same price to Donna Silvia Caracciolo, (widow of the Marquis St. Mark, D. Carlo Emanuele Carvisiglia), which, by application of the same notary public, declared that it was simple and nominees had bought with money of account and D. Fabrizio Pignatelli Marsiconuovo Prince and Lord of Moliterno.

His feud, which included Moliterno, Sarconi and San Chirico Raparo, canceled by rating law in 1806, was divided into pieces and absorbed by creditors, that time came the last part of compulsory expropriation in 1830. Later, the title of Prince of Moliterno, always attached to Marsiconuovo, was attributed to Senator Galloni, who was descended from Prince Tricase. These for a credit of nine thousand ducats which he renounced in favor of the creditors, obtained in the transaction, the noble title of Prince of Marsiconuovo and Moliterno that joined to that of Tricase.

Always under the Spanish, the Dominican Fathers who had settled in the convent of St. Nicholas in Pantanellis, at the behest of Anjou, who preferred them to the Basilian in 15l0 moved into the "granary" of the Serra di Moliterno, called by Sanseverino.

They under Carafa grew in prestige and power facilitated by the fact that Donna Anna Carafa, woman of the most beautiful and educated of her time, she married Philip of Don Ramiro Guzman, a Spanish nobleman who claimed descent from the family Guzman, Viceroy of Kingdom of Naples under Philip IV.

According to the Valinoti Latorraca their power was to obtain from the Holy See, which instead of the Assumption, patron that came from ancient traditions Grumentine, was declared St. Dominic of Guzman new patron of Moliterno.

Meanwhile, in 1714, the kingdom of Naples passed by the Spanish to the Austrians who remained there until 1738, when he was assigned to Charles of Bourbon, the grandson of the king of Spain. The Bourbons were in southern Italy until 1860, ie until Garibaldi annexed it with "The shipment of a thousand," the kingdom of Italy, except for the brief interruption of the Napoleonic period.

It was then, precisely in 1806, with the Act of August 2, issued by the French, which was abolished the feudal barons and left only to the peerage, and domains of any kind, were distributed among the citizens of the City.

In truth Moliterno things had started to change for the better under the rule of the house Pignatelli. Moliterno, in fact, they went better shape as municipal entity: governors and judges were more minions of the barons, but people legally recognized. The town became important in the arts and sciences, schools multiplied, evolved academy studies, theater flourished and gave rise to a school of medicine. In this period Moliterno was a real melting pot of artists and intellectuals.
 
Featuring a charming medieval core, surrounded by the Mother Church and Dominican Convent, is dominated by the imposing bulk of the castle perched on a rocky outcrop.
The origins of Moliterno are probably related to the transfer of refugees from neighboring Grumentum that escaped the Saracen invasions, settled in this area, giving life to a new town. The original nucleus was fortified under the Normans who, on an existing tower, built the castle.
The structure of the castle, as it appears today, is a building that has undergone several changes and additions to several lords successive step in the Norman times onwards. By Sanseverino princes of Salerno, acquiring possession of Moliterno in 1477, the Carafa of Stigliano in 1524, the brief rule of the Spinelli to that of Pignatelli Marsiconuovo who kept possession of the center until the abolition of the baronies.
 
Not far away is the Church dedicated to the Assumption. An impressive building built in the eighteenth century on the ruins of a small church fourteenth century. The baroque facade, completed at the end of the nineteenth century, it consists of three distinct parts. The central part, slightly protruding, opens in a majestic portal, while the two sides correspond to the bases of the towers unfinished.
The three-nave interior has a grand dome in 1754 by Ignazio De Jullis, a student of Vanvitelli. Several works kept inside by fine painting of the Last Supper, on the opposite of the painting on wood by Simone from Florence depicting St. Peter, the sixteenth-century oil on canvas depicting the Deposition of the Neapolitan school, the baptistery dating back to 1617 with support carved stone and wooden lid.
 
On the other side stands the church of the Rosary, built in 1510 for the Dominican Convent and enlarged in 1616. The interior has three naves, is covered with a barrel vault in the central and sometimes cruises in the side. In the church are preserved, as well as several paintings, three wooden altars carved gilded in gold, a precious wooden choir dated 1543 and a pipe organ.
The ancient monastery of the Dominicans, now recognize the cloister characterized by round arches and a central shaft on which is inscribed the date 1614, confirming the contemporary with the church.
 
At the foot of the medieval village, along a lovely tree-lined street, you reach the main piazza Vittorio Veneto. Here stands the Franciscan church of Santa Croce, transformed in the first two decades of the seventeenth century oratory church adding the existing single nave aisle on the left. At the same time on the right side was built the Convent of the Friars Minor Reformed. A further extension of the convent and the church was around 1640 when, demolished the apse, the presbytery was extended and erect six altars in carved wood. With the suppression of the religious orders in the first 800, the Franciscan convent abbandonaro Moliterno and sold to the family Giliberti was transformed into a dwelling. He is currently the town hall.
The interior of the church contains a fine seventeenth-century furnishings, carved altars, paintings and baroque sculptures. On the main altar houses the beautiful painting by Pietrafesa, depicting the Deposition, placed in a wooden altar macchiana contains six elegant busts of saints with functions of reliquaries.
 
Moliterno also boasts the presence of several palaces, which not only characterize the history and richness of the families who built them, or owned or changed, but the same economy and social life of this center of Val d’Agri. Many are those who look with their beautiful facades embellished with exquisite stone portals, the picturesque alleys of the old town.
 
image
Moliterno è rinomato per la produzione del canestrato, un formaggio pecorino con marchio IGP, apprezzato in Italia e all’estero.
 
 
         
  © agriturismoparcoverde.it    
Contact      Customer Area Credits: basilicatanet.com